Small businesses are popping up everywhere. However, one of the biggest problems they face is small business marketing. To understand this lets first take a look at why.
Today more than ever, people are jumping on the small business band wagon like the traffic that arrives at a 60% off sales at a major clothing store.
There are all kinds of people starting their own plumbing business, contracting business and whatever else you can think of.
Part of the reason for this is there is no job security anymore and unions seem to be a thing of the past. The days are long gone where people stayed at the same job for 25 years or more.
Corporations have downsized more than ever in today’s changing world. People seem to be laid off for just about any reason you can think of anymore. One thing is for sure, the economy has changed.
Many people think we are doomed as a society but, are they failing to realize that things have just only changed.
It’s kind of like the auto worker who was laid off because he was replaced by the mechanical robot arm that now makes cars. However that worker took notice and went back to school and learned to repair those robots.
His future is now bright again because he was able to see the change he needed to make.
In marketing, the same change takes place all the time. Marketing is a never ending battle to get the word about your products or services.
If one thing doesn’t work you should try something else until you land upon a winning combination. And then create a small business marketing plan.
Don’t get caught up in the mindset of you tried something once and it didn’t work for you so therefore it doesn’t work at all.
Marketing takes many years of skill and practice to be able to perform it like a red belt karate master.
But let’s look at that karate master just a little closer for a second. In some forms of martial arts, a black belt has to learn only 5 to 10 moves to become a black belt.
So they practice those moves over and over until they know them like a pup knows its own mother.
The point here is many people are looking for the quick fix all the time. They continue to search out many sources of marketing information without taking any action at all.
Learning is a very positive thing and should be performed all the time.
However, one of the greatest tricks of marketing is finding that one thing that you know you can do and works very well for you.
And then repeat it over and over until you know it like the karate master.
Then and only then can you move on to other things in the marketing mix to help make your business more money.
Again, do not get caught up in thinking you have to learn and do everything at one. Your business marketing will take time to learn.
Make it a process and enjoy it. Continue to read books and other marketing strategies materials that help you learn more.
If you find yourself in a bind and already own a business that needs help with marketing. Here are five small steps to help you until you learn the bigger picture.
1. Hire an expert. Many marketing experts do consult for thousands of dollars at a time. However, maybe you have a friend that owns a business. Jump up off the couch and see what they do for their marketing.
2. Get the word out. Listen you are going to make mistakes. But, doing nothing is a total loss. Get out there and do something today to make it happen. You could try to make a flayer and hand it out to people.
3. Tell your friends and family. Friend and family are there to help when you need it. So don’t be shy. Ask them for help. You could ask them if they might know anyone interested in your business or if they know anyone who could help you.
4. Start a company web site. A website is a great way to get the word out about your business. The trick here is learning about web marketing. One way could be a logo on your car.
5. Joint partnerships with other businesses. Whatever business you own there are similar businesses that you could pair up with. You could recommend each others products or services to the others customers. Just make sure they are in line with your target market.
These are small ways to leverage your business over your competition.
Just remember to learn all you can and if you do nothing else take action to make it happen.
You will stumble along the way, that is a given. But, if you do nothing you have no business.